4 sports club fundraising ideas to help your team
Playing sports is fun, but when it comes to raising funds, let’s just say, there are better things to do. Whether it’s for your team’s travel expenses, equipment costs, jerseys and apparel, tournaments or just general sports fundraising, it isn’t easy and can be disheartening when it seems like you’re going nowhere. You have to work hard, but more importantly, you need to work smartly. Unless of course, you consider betting on the easiest lottery to win. This could potentially assist you in receiving enough money to raise money for your team.
But, apart from trying your luck and playing the winning numbers, there are key factors you need to remember in order to get the most out of your donations.
You need to:
- Entice your audience and make them want to donate. Because, sadly, in order for you to get something out of people, some may expect something in return. So, always try to motivate them, inspire them and give them a good enough reason to want to help. And, that reason can be as simple as reminding them of the beauty of giving back.
- Try and connect with different networks outside of your family and friends when looking for fundraising. Yes, they can help, but there are more people who can be of help.
- Stay motivated, even when it seems like nothing is moving forward. Over time, you’ll reach a breakthrough.
Now that that’s been explained, read this article to find ways for your team to get the funding it needs.
Consider a crowdfunding campaign
The internet has made it possible for you to get funding even from strangers all over the world. As you may have heard, or maybe you’ve chipped in a few Rands for someone else’s crowdfunding in the past, crowdfunding is an effective way of getting enough money for a huge cause. People enjoy helping people out, especially if it’s a good cause.
You just need to have a story explaining to people where the money is going. This helps get people to empathise with you and see the importance of their help. Because at the end of the day, if you don’t explain yourself, no one is going to give you free money.
- The next step is to have a number. You cannot go up to people and demand funding without having a financial goal. This tip will also help when you look for funding elsewhere. You need to have all your numbers sorted so that people can take you and your team seriously.
- They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but a video can really help people understand what you’re trying to say. So, put a small clip together that best describes your team and what goals you hope to achieve. Again, now is the time to give people valuable information that will help your cause. The quality of the video and what is being said will help you gain people’s trust, and they’ll see how devoted you all are.
- The last step is to get people talking about your campaign. So, ask your friends, team members and family to help get the word out. This is the hardest part, so all hands need to be on deck. Make use of social media, and your followings to ensure people start talking about your campaign.
Once you’ve followed these steps, you can submit your campaign. Make sure you read the crowdfunding’s website guidelines to ensure you’re following the rules and everything is above board. Now, you just have to wait. You can have a designated team member who can be on the lookout and track how much money you’re receiving on a daily basis.
Being on the lookout will also help you see how far you have come and if you still need to push your campaign on social media.
Partner up with sponsors
Now, one of the most obvious but difficult ways of receiving funding is by finding a sponsor for your team. There are many businesses which are always looking to support sports teams in exchange for publicity.
This can be even more worthwhile if you are looking to work with brands and businesses you resonate with. And, even if they don’t offer you money, you can get other forms of funding. They can, for example, be funding your team with apparel. Especially if you manage to work with a sports brand.
If you choose to go this route, there are a few steps you need to follow to ensure you get the best deal out of this partnership. You need to:
- Have a designated person who will be in charge. The person will need to take the time to contact and build relationships with potential sponsors. The person needs to have excellent people’s skills and is responsible.
- Consider what you can offer prospective sponsors because you need to remember that this will be a mutually beneficial relationship. For each sponsor you contact, also think about what you want from them as well. When you have established this, you’ll be able to negotiate better.
- Put the word out there. This can be done through social media, which is a great tool to connect with the right people. When you put the word out, always specify what you can do for them and for what price. Having all the necessary details out in the open can help you to attract the right people, and make the process faster. (Rather than having to sit through prospective sponsors who aren’t even aligned with what you need or what you’re offering.)
Offer lessons in the community
The great thing about sport is that there are always people who are eager to learn. So, use that to your advantage; offer the people in your community lessons. You can offer lessons to people of all ages, of course, this depends on how many people sign up.
To create awareness, you and your teammates can go door to door informing people in your neighbourhood. You can also put up an advertisement in the community newspaper, notice board at the gym, library, shopping mall and transport terminal.
Host an event
Another fun and effective way of receiving those funds is by hosting a fundraiser. Entertainment is one of the simplest ways of reaching your goal.
Here are some of the events you can host:
- Games event: you’re a sports team, so why not use those skills to your advantage. Host a few games where your visitors can either watch or take part in the game for a fee, of course.
- Car wash: this is one fundraising tactic where you can’t go wrong. Because who doesn’t need their car washed? When having a car wash, you can always have a few stalls where your customers can get food. Sell treats like cakes, cupcakes, or finger foods like boerewors. That way you’ll have two streams of cash revenue in one day.
- Bingo night: this is an entertaining game that everyone enjoys, and it is an excellent fundraiser. And one of the most convenient things about bingo is that it’s suitable for adults and kids which can help you and your team have a high turnover.
Of course, these are only a few ideas that can help raise funds, but they are an ideal place to start. Remember, getting enough funds won’t happen overnight unless you make use of one of these fundraising ideas or a member from your team wins a large cash prize on a bet. But, always keep in mind that you will get there and you and your teammates just need to work as a team, and always try and have fun.